Thursday, July 22, 2010

Giggity giggity... and Alan Smith


I just can't wait for the start of the new season. And even though there are a crapload of things that I'm excited for, the thing I'm looking forward to the most is seeing Chicharito play upfront for us.

Now I know that his performances at the World Cup won't necessarily be an accurate indicator of how well he'll work with the United team, but I'm still pulling out my hair, waiting for the day he'll finally play a game for us.

In related news, this article I read over at the Daily Mail is telling us that he will definitely wear "Chicharito" on the back of his jersey. It was actually a question that's been bugging me for the past month or so, seeing as I don't know whether to refer to him as Hernandez or Chicharito. Now I know that I shouldn't necessarily trust this report, at least I don't have to keep switching back between the two names.

In the same story, the paper suggests that he is going to be handed the number 14 shirt. According to them, it's a cursed shirt. It's past wearers include Alan Smith, Zoran Tosic, Jordi Cruyff... I must admit, they have a good point. All those players came to Old Trafford with bags of potential, but ended up leaving the club relatively unsuccessfully. Let's hope the new kid doesn't end up like the rest of them...

Now I can't mention Alan Smith and not talk about how much I respected him when he was at the club. In the beginning, he was an outright striker, and boy could he find the back of the net. Even though he didn't score as much when he was moved to the midfield for his tenacity and aggressive demeanour, he was still a legend in my eyes. Always fighting hard for a ball, putting his team in front of himself, and ultimately being an inspiration on the pitch. His horrific injury was the catalyst for the end of his time as a United player, but we'll still remember him. If there's anything that sticks in my mind during his time here, it's when he came back from that leg break, and scored in the 7-1 demolition of Roma. The look on his face? Priceless.


1 comment: