Monday, August 9, 2010

The Curious Case of Owen Hargreaves.


I just gotta start out by saying this one thing: I love Owen Hargreaves. I've loved him since he was at Bayern Munich and when rumors started linking him to United, my mind was blown. There were a lot of expectations for Owen in the summer of 2006. Coming right off the back of an impressive World Cup where he was voted English player of the year, Hargreaves was wanted by United - and we sold it pretty hard.

When he did move to United in 2007, no one was left disappointed. While playing 23 out of 38 league games that season, Hargreaves scored twice - including that stunning free kick winner against Arsenal. It's a bit of a shame fucking disgrace (to put it in the words of Didier Drogba) that his knees weren't fully healthy and that he had to have double knee surgery at the end of the 07-08 season over in the States.

It's been almost 2 years since Hargreaves was last fully fit and I think his dominating presence in the midfield has been sorely missed at times. Who can forget the Champions League Final loss to Barcelona in 2008? Fletcher was the midfield dynamo for us in that campaign but without a solid defensive midfielder in the lineup, we were dominated by Iniesta and co.

And here we are. After many reports saying that Owen will be back, we are disappointed once again by the news that he will be staying in Colorado to recover from his injury. 

As always here at TSR, we pride ourselves on luck. And so I'm knocking on as much wood as I can. And tomorrow I'll be out looking for four-leaf clovers under the lights of shooting stars while wearing Nike's with horseshoes nailed to the bottom. In fact, I think I'll be putting any mirrors, ladders, and black cats in the attic.

I just want Owen back...

What could have been: Hargreaves + Possebon

No comments:

Post a Comment