Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Ones That Got Away: Giuseppe Rossi

As part of a new series, The Stretford Roar will be looking at those players who were once Red Devils but left for pastures new and made a big name for themselves away from the M16.

Today we'll be looking at Villarreal's attacking wonder, Giuseppe Rossi


After being snapped up Federico Macheda style from Parma's youth team, Rossi was touted as a very exciting young prospect for Manchester United. He was banging the goals in for our reserve team and was on the edge of making the first team. In the end, Rossi was unfortunate as that was as far as he was going to get at United. After two seasons on the fringe of the first team, Rossi left United for Villarreal after playing 14 games and scoring 4 goals in all competitions. 

I was devastated when I heard that Rossi was leaving. I always saw him as our future star striker and had him leading my frontline on my Football Manager game. So yeah, it didn't surprise me that he was a hit in Spain and scored 45 goals in 122 games. A part of me was, and always will be, disappointed that Rossi couldn't make it in Manchester, but I guess with players like van Nistelrooy, Rooney, Saha, and Smith in the line-up, it was always going to be difficult for a rookie to make it. 

That being said, when Rossi signed with Villarreal, there was a buy-back clause in his contract which meant that United have the option of resigning him. The details on this clause aren't entirely clear, but it is safe to assume that one day, whenever that day may be, Rossi MAY make his way back to the red half of Manchester.

As for now, I'm happy that he's playing well in La Liga and that he's getting recognition on the international stage as well. Despite the fact that he doesn't wear the United shirt anymore, I wish him well in his burgeoning career.

No comments:

Post a Comment