Saturday, September 11, 2010

The Aftermath: United vs. Everton

And he scored a goal and everything...

The Breakdown
Everton 3-3 United

No Wayne Rooney. Did we need him? You could say so. But conceding three goals is just sloppy. There are no words to express my intense frustration at this result.
Fergie, in his 700th match, plays a 4-5-1, O'Shea as a Defensive Mid, with Berbatov up front on his own. What are you doing, Fergie, what are you doing.
It was Everton who took the lead, in a lightning counter, Steven Pienaar scoring 28 seconds after United took a corner up at the other end of the pitch.
But barely 4 minutes later, Fletcher finishes an efficient move (what a cross from Nani) to level it. But we're really letting ourselves get sluggish. 1-1 at half-time

Flash-forward to the second half, Vidic grabs a goal early on from a cross after a corner, and Berbatov grabs another and we're up 3-1.

Then it all goes wrong. Cahill, Arteta in injury time, 3-3. GUTTED.

Reaction
I was relaxed on 87 minutes, and had my head in my hands 4 minutes later. WHAT THE HELL GUYS. We had it in the bag. 3-1 up, and we let it slip. I sincerely hope this isn't one of those games we'd look at come the end of the season where we think to ourselves "if only..."

What's worse, what's worse! Is that it was a 2 goal lead. We were on top. It was casual and relaxed and we got PUNISHED. If Fergie isn't letting them have it, well... dare I say it would be the beginning of the end for him. But, rest assured dear readers, I'm one hundred percent positive that he'd be screaming his head off. Poor poor stuff.

Tempted, as always, to lay the blame on players, but I don't even know who to look to first. We were solid for the most part. We dominated. Two crosses at the end of the game undid all of that!

Gary Neville, who wasn't wearing the captain's arm-band—despite starting—played the whole game, his first game of the season full-stop. Don't think he played particularly well, and I noticed several times where he'd not be closing them down like he would have if he was up on his match sharpness. So maybe that was one possible mistake, could've brought on either of the da Silva twins who were sat on the bench.

Maybe the slightly negative 4-5-1 formation could have led to our demise? I'm still reeling off this result. I can't for the life of me analyse how it fell apart. So I'll leave it at that.

Best Player
Not even in the mood to talk this one up. Nani played well all game, he gets the best player.

Where We Stood, Where We Stand
No comment. On the plus side, we move into 2nd? That's not much of a consolation, I agree. God, I hate football right now. For now, I'm with this guy:

1| Chelsea|3|9|+14|
2| UNITED|4|8|+6|
3| Arsenal|3|7|+7|
4| Aston Villa|3|6|-2|
----------------------
5| Bolton|3|5|+2|


No comments:

Post a Comment